Hornvare Fabrikken – Horn Comb – small
The horns do not come from protected cattle, but from domestic cows. Horns from domestic cows are normally lost; many abattoirs simply burn them, because they don’t know what else to do with them. When you buy horn goods from Hornvarefabrikken, you support businesses in developing countries.
Correct care is important to ensure a long life for your horn items. Even though horn is a hard and beautiful material, blessed by Mother Nature with amazing colours and patterns, it can be damaged by water, heat, and soap.
How to care for horn items:
– Clean your horn items in lukewarm running water without soap or solvents. Dry off the items directly.
– Never clean horn items in a dish washer.
– Never soak horn item in a tub. You may dip the items in cold or lukewarm water, but no more than that. Dry off the items directly. Never use hot water.
– Never allow your horn items to sit for prolonged periods in fluids, e.g. jams, salads, or dressings.
– Avoid leaving horn items in direct sunlight or near heat sources.
– Old heirloom horn items like old tablespoons etc. should be given a light coating of oil from time to time to prevent them from drying out.